Heroes Square

09 SEP 2010 - BUDAPEST, HUN - As dusk falls dog obedience class members put their pets through their paces in Heroes Square .(PHOTO (C) NIGEL FARROW) (NIGEL FARROW/(C) 2010 NIGEL FARROW)

09 SEP 2010 - BUDAPEST, HUN - As dusk falls dog obedience class members put their pets through their paces in Heroes Square .(PHOTO (C) NIGEL FARROW)

More images from Budapest

9th September 2010 – Budapest, Hungary

Dominated by the Millenium Monument, Heroes Square in Budapest was built to commemorate the thousandth anniversary of the arrival in the Carpathian Basin in 896AD of the seven tribes that founded the Hungarian nation.

09 SEP 2010 - BUDAPEST, HUN - Heroes Square .(PHOTO (C) NIGEL FARROW) (NIGEL FARROW/(C) 2010 NIGEL FARROW)

09 SEP 2010 - BUDAPEST, HUN - Heroes Square .(PHOTO (C) NIGEL FARROW)

A 36 metre high column, on top of which stands a statue of the Archangel Gabriel forms the centrepiece. As with all the other statues in the square this one holds historical significance for the country. In his left hand the Archangel holds the double cross of Christianity, a symbol awarded by the Pope to the first king of Hungary, St. Stephen, for his efforts to convert Hungarians to the religion. In his right hand he holds the Holy Crown of St. Stephen.

09 SEP 2010 - BUDAPEST, HUN - Children play and couples walk through Heroes Square after dusk (PHOTO (C) NIGEL FARROW) (NIGEL FARROW/(C) 2010 NIGEL FARROW)

09 SEP 2010 - BUDAPEST, HUN - Children play and couples walk through Heroes Square after dusk (PHOTO (C) NIGEL FARROW)

At the foot of the column are statues of the seven Magyar chieftens who first brought their people to the region looking for somewhere to settle. Of these the most notable is that at the front of Árpad who is considered to be the founder of the Hungarian nation.

09 SEP 2010 - BUDAPEST, HUN - Heroes Square .(PHOTO (C) NIGEL FARROW) (NIGEL FARROW/(C) 2010 NIGEL FARROW)

09 SEP 2010 - BUDAPEST, HUN - Heroes Square .(PHOTO (C) NIGEL FARROW)

Forming a majestic backdrop behind the Corinthian column are two quarter circle colonnades, each featuring seven arches between each of which is a statue of another figure from Hungarian history. On top of each end of the colonnades is a symbolic statue representing War, Peace, Work and Welfare and, Knowledge and Glory.

In front of the monument is the Hungarian War Memorial which is dedicated “To the memory of the heroes who gave their lives for the freedom of our people and our national independence”.

Work on the square, known as Hősök tere in Hungarian, began in 1896 and was finally completed in 1929. Located at the end of Andrassy Avenue and in front of City Park in Zugló, or the 14th, district of the city the square covers an area of about 25,600 m²

Achieving UNESCO World Heritage site status in 2002 along with the surrounding area, the square is these days a highly popular location for people to relax with skate boarders and dog walking obedience classes mingling with tourists from around the world.


More images from Budapest


Ph. : +44 (0) 7770 792143 | [ E Mail ]